Start-Up Village Entrepreneurship Programme
EDII has been roped in as a National Resource Organisation (NRO) for implementing the largest PAN-India rural poverty eradication programme, the Start-up Village Entrepreneurship Programme (SVEP). SVEP is the sub-scheme under Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana – National Rural Livelihoods Mission (DAY-NRLM) with the objective of helping Self Help Groups (SHGs) and their family members to set-up small enterprises in the non-farm sector. SVEP is sponsored by Ministry of Rural Development, Government of India, and State Rural Livelihood Missions of 14 states with funding in the ratio of 60:40 respectively.
- To enable rural poor to set up their enterprises by developing a sustainable model for Village Entrepreneurship promotion through integrated ICT techniques and tools for training and capacity building, enterprise advisory services and by arranging loans from banks/SHGs & federations.
- Develop local resources by training a pool of village level community cadre (CRP EP) and build capacities of NRLM and SHG federations to monitor and direct the work of the Community Resource Persons – Enterprise Promotion (CRP-EP).
- Help rural entrepreneurs access finance for starting their enterprises from NRLM, SHG federations and the banking systems
- To support rural entrepreneurs by developing an eco-system for supporting small businesses in rural areas.
- The eco-system comprises a cadre of Community Resource Persons – Enterprise Promotion (CRP-EP) that provides business support services to entrepreneurs.
- A dedicated fund called Community Enterprise Fund (CEF) is set-up to provide seed capital to enterprises.
- A Block Resource Centre (BRC), the dedicated centre at the block level for supporting enterprise promotion is established in each block.
- An exclusive team comprising block anchors, mentors and Block Programme Managers (BPM) at the block help in implementing SVEP
EDII's presence: 65 blocks in 14 States
|State||No. of Blocks:||No. of Blocks:||Total|
|Implementation ongoing||Implementation initiated|
|1. Madhya Pradesh||5||4||9|
|2. West Bengal||7||2||9|
|5. Uttar Pradesh||5||6||11|
- EDII has been instrumental in boosting rural livelihood and employment in villages and has created 36370 enterprises and trained 37668 entrepreneurs as well as 651 community resource persons.
- While initially, funding for entrepreneurs was sought from the Community Enterprise Fund (CEF) available under the project, with sustained efforts for credit linkages, 1205 enterprises have been given loans worth Rs. 5.63 crores by different financial organisations.
- 36370 enterprises have been promoted and a loan worth ₹ 102.3 crores has been disbursed so far.
- 108 State and Block level officials from SRLM have been trained so far in using SVEP software. It is envisaged that these trained officials will further conduct trainings in their respective states.
- In an attempt to formalize microenterprises and facilitate them in getting access to various government schemes, 8199 enterprises have been registered under Udyog Aadhaar (UAM).
- From among 36370 entrepreneurs associated in SVEP, 61% are female and 85% belong to SC/ST, OBC and Minority communities.
Core Initiatives Over the Years
State and Societies have continually sought to institute plans and methods to evolve an inclusive approach to growth so that the struggles of the disadvantaged and the deprived could be reduced, and they could be integrated in the mainstream social structure. Several amiable policies and approaches have been put in place to ensure their wellbeing, including that of the differently abled whose daily struggles for living and livelihood are overwhelming.
EDII has been roped in as a National Resource Organisation (NRO) for implementing the largest PAN-India rural poverty eradication programme, the Start-up Village Entrepreneurship Programme (SVEP). SVEP is the sub-scheme under Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana – National Rural Livelihoods Mission (DAY-NRLM) with the objective of helping Self Help Groups (SHGs) and their family members to set-up small enterprises in the non-farm sector.
As knowledge partner to the Commissionerate of Cottage Industries, Government of Gujarat, EDII is working on conceptualizing, developing, implementing and evaluating an integrated model to strengthen the cottage & rural entrepreneurship ecosystem in the state.
Under the Government of India’s policy initiative for inclusive development and rapid transformation of 115 backward districts across the country, EDII has been entrusted by the Department of Science & Technology, Govt. of India to conduct short-term Entrepreneurship Sensitization and Development Programmes (ESDP) in 40 districts across the country.
As the National Implementing & Monitoring Agency for Training (NIMAT), sponsored by NSTEDB, Department of Science & Technology, Government of India, the Institute has been conducting a series of programmes to promote and strengthen S&T entrepreneurship among youth, thus strengthening S&T entrepreneurship in educational institutions.
‘Kushal Yuva Program’ launched by Bihar Skill Development Mission (BSDM) aims at enhancing Soft Skills among youths in the age group of 15-25 years, who have cleared class 10th or class 12th or have dropped out of formal education and are looking for jobs.
EDII functions as Cluster Management and Technical Agency (CMTA) for Srinagar Mega Carpet Cluster Project under Comprehensive Handicraft Cluster Development Project of Ministry of Textiles, Government of India. The objective of the project is to facilitate development of mega carpet cluster, with necessary infrastructure support and modern production facilities to enable the industry to meet various legal and trade commitments.
At the behest of Tourism Corporation of Gujarat Ltd. (TCGL), EDII has been conducting ‘Skill and Entrepreneurship Development Training programmes’ for stakeholders associated with the Tourism sector. Especially designed, 15-day programmes focus on enhancing skills of participants
Under support of National SC-ST Hub (NSSH) Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises, Govt. Of India, EDII conducts 4-week Entrepreneurship Development Programmes for SC/ST youth. The programmes cover the states of Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh, Karnataka and Assam.
Rural Entrepreneurship and development strategies are being undertaken in a big way to ensure alleviation of poverty and unemployment.
Under the sponsorship of Gujarat Women Economic Development Corporation Ltd. (GWEDC), Govt. of Gujarat, EDII initiated one-year programme in 2020 focussing on developing the entrepreneurial capacity of women and enabling them to build their business resources to ensure sustainable income through enterprise creation.