Professor & Director,
Dept. of Business Development Services & National Outreach & Incharge,
Dept. of Developing Economy Engagement
Ph.D. (Commerce), University of Calcutta
M.Sc. (Economics), University of Calcutta
Areas of Specialization
Cluster Development and Rural Marketing
Professor & Director,
Dept. of Business Development Services & National Outreach & Incharge,
Dept. of Developing Economy Engagement
Rural and Agri-marketing
Rural and Social Marketing
- “Implementing Bamboo-based Entrepreneurship & Livelihood Development Programme in Tripura”, under National Mission on Himalayan Studies (NMHS), Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (2019-20).
- Cluster Development at Agartala, Rajkot as a Cluster Intervention Team (2017-18):- Oversaw implementation of Micro and Small Enterprise Cluster Intervention Programme (M-CIP) in bamboo products cluster at Agartala, Tripura and engineering cluster at Rajkot, Gujarat, India. The basic objectives were to improve competitiveness of the MSMEs and promote the cause of smart clusters.
- Mainstreaming Social Entrepreneurship Education Project supported by the British Council (2016-2017):- This was an UK-India collaboration initiative between Entrepreneurship Development Institute of India and the University of East London, U.K. that explored and piloted a project to look at how social entrepreneurship can be mainstreamed across the universities.
- Say YES to Sustainable MSMEs in India supported by YES Bank (2015 till date):- Implementing a project called “Say YES to Sustainable MSMEs in India”. The basic objectives of this project are promoting environmental sustainability through energy efficiency and improving occupational health & safety measures in MSME clusters Pan-India. This has been supported under the CSR initiative of YES Bank Ltd.
- Professional Fellows Program with support of US State Department (2014-till date):- Overseeing management of a program called “Professional Fellows Program” in collaboration with the Gaylord College of Journalism and Mass Communication & Center for the Creation of Economic Wealth (CCEW), The University of Oklahoma. The program aims to provide professional experience and training that nurtures participants’ talent and prepare them for more responsible leadership positions in their businesses, communities and society in general. It is targeted towards mid-level emerging leaders in small or start-up business ventures, business administration, government, NGOs, business education, incubation hubs, community training programs or social entrepreneurs.
- Establishing “Entrepreneurship Development Centre” in Rwanda (since 2017):- Managing a project for setting up “Entrepreneurship Development Centre/ Institute” in Rwanda with support of the Ministry of External Affairs, Government of India and the Government of the host country. The objective of this project is to initiate entrepreneurship development and small and medium enterprise promotion activities in Rwanda in order to create employment opportunities, improve standard of living and income and facilitate economic development of the host countries.
- Established India-Uzbekistan Entrepreneurship Development Centre (Institute) at Tashkent, Uzbekistan supported by the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA), Government of India (2014-Till Date):- As a Project Director, I am managing activities for setting up this Centre. The objective of this Centre is to promote Entrepreneurship, SME and private sector development activities in order to facilitate development of local and national economy in Uzbekistan. The Centre was inaugurated in December 2018.
- MSME Cluster Development in industrial clusters supported by the Development Commissioner (MSME), Ministry of MSME, Govt. of India (1998-Till Date):- Conducted diagnostic study of MSME clusters, prepared cluster vision and action plan and implemented Cluster Development Programme (CDP) so as to facilitate holistic development of the clusters and improve competitiveness of the MSMEs in local, national and global market. Technology up-gradation, market development, productivity, quality improvement, adopting good manufacturing practices, trade facilitation, export development were part of the cluster development programmes.
- Cluster Development Executives (CDE) Programme:- Conducted series of Cluster Development Executives programme and trained about 700 Govt. officials, including 300 persons from 70 countries, who are engaged in SME development, trade promotion and private sector development in their respective countries.
- Capacity Building of Business Membership Organisations (BMOs) (2012-2014):- Designed and conducted Capacity Building Programmes of Business Membership Organisations and trained BMO office bearers and functionaries on issues like BMO management, income generating services for the BMOs, business policy advocacy, accessing public support schemes and business responsibility. The initiative was supported by Sequa gGmbH, Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ), SIDBI and Ministry of MSME, Govt. of India.
- ‘Business Development Services (BDS) Market Development’ Project supported by Department for International Development (DFID), Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ), The World Bank & Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI)( 2009-2011):- As a Project Director of this project, facilitated market/export development, technology up-gradation, productivity & quality improvement, skill development, training of trainers programme on design development, design forecasting, implementation of ERP, credit rating, energy saving, adoption of environment friendly manufacturing practices etc.
- National Training Programme on Rural Marketing (2001-2009):- Conducted series of ‘National Training Programme on Rural Marketing’ benefiting practitioners from NGO, VO, co-operatives, individual producers etc. These programmes were primarily supported by SIDBI, NABARD.
- Headed the International Centre for Cluster Competitiveness, Growth and Technology (IC3GT). The Centre was established at EDII with the objective of providing strategic and technical support to agencies involved in MSME cluster development, value chain up-gradation and export development. Some of the activities undertaken as a Head of the Centre (IC3GT), are provisioning of technical support, training of Cluster Development Executives, developing vision and strategy for select MSME clusters, market & export development, international trade fair participation, technology & value chain up-gradation, product diversification, improving performance & competitiveness of MSMEs in many product sectors. This was supported by the Development Commissioner (MSME), Ministry of MSME, Govt. of India.
Specialises in Cluster Development, Business Development Services (BDS) Market Development, Value Chain and Rural Marketing. Presently managing activities pertaining to Sustainable Development of MSMEs in the country. He is also engaged in providing strategic and technical services to the cluster development organisations within and outside India. Conducted a series of cluster development executive programmes, capacity-building programmes for Business Membership Organisations (BMOs) and BDS. Managing establishment of Entrepreneurship Development Centres (EDCs) overseas. Carried out research on rural marketing, cluster, value chain, BDS market and presented papers in national and international conferences. Co-authored a book (with Dr. R. K. Mishra) titled 'Supply Chain Management-Strategies & Evaluation' and edited a book (with Prof. D.M. Pestonjee) titled “Human Resource Development and MSME Development”.
- Wrote a book titled “Supply Chain management- Strategies and Evaluation” jointly with Dr. R. K. Mishra (2016):- An effective supply chain management strategy is designed to coordinate effectively among the entire supply chain, from upstream to downstream activities. Supply chain strategic measure is an important aspect of the book to highlight the vital issues and its requirement during managerial decision making process. The book highlights the importance of supply chain efficiency measurement using the case study of pharmaceutical companies and the efficiency measurement of collieries at Mahanadi Coalfield Limited.
- Edited a book with Prof. D.M. Pestonjee titled “Human Resource Development and MSME Development”. This edited book is comprised of selected articles on diverse topics related to Human Resource Development and MSME Development.
“Small producers and labour conditions in auto-parts and component industry in North India”; Awasthi, D. N., Pal, S., & Yagnik, Jignasu (2010); in A. Posthuma & D. Nathan (Eds), Labour in Global Production Networks in India (p. 272-299). New Delhi: Oxford University Press. The paper tries to understand the labour conditions and labour welfare measures adopted by the firms (manufacturing auto parts & components) catering to the domestic market vis-à-vis those which are part of global production network.
- Innovation, Collaboration and Learning in Regional Clusters: A Study of MSMEs in India; Pal, S and Mishra, R.K. (2016); published in the Research Bulletin, The Institute of Cost Accountants of India, Vol 41, No. IV, Jan 2016:- The paper deals with the significance of Innovation and Collaboration in the domain of MSME Cluster Development.
- Benchmarking Indian SMEs: A DEA Approach; Mishra, R.K. and Pal, S. (2015); published in International Journal of Process Management and Benchmarking, 2017 Vol.7 No.3, pp.305 - 331. The paper deals with the benchmarking of Indian SMEs. It identifies the peer units to understand the strength and weakness to improve further. It gives a sound understanding of relative ranking of SMEs.
- Internationalization of Kolkata Leather Cluster: A Case Study; Pal, S. and Mishra R.K. (2015); Chapter in the edited book of International Conference on “Transnational Entrepreneurs and International SMEs in Emerging Economies: Drivers and Strategies”. Edited by Wasdani, K.P, Vijaygopal, A., and Manimala, M.J., Bonfringe Publications, Coimbatore (ISBN: 973-93-84743-81-9). The paper deals with the importance of internationalization for leather cluster for economic development. It generally deals with the process of internationalization of Kolkata Leather Cluster as a case study based approach.
- Performance modelling of Indian SMEs: A DEA approach; Pal, S. and Mishra R.K. (2015); Chapter in the edited book of “Eleven Biennial Conference on Entrepreneurship” edited by Mishra, D., Awasthi, & Batthini, G., Bookswell Publisher, New Delhi (ISBN: 978-93-80574-78-3). The paper deals with the SMEs performance modelling through Data Envelopment Analysis.
- Empowering MSMEs through Cluster Development Programme; Pal, S. (2013). Published in The Management Accountant, May, 2013.
- Open innovation benefiting micro, small & medium enterprises – A case of the leather cluster in Kolkata”; Pal, S., Singh, B., & Banerjea, S. (2013) in Misra, S., Awasthi, D., & Batthini, G. (Eds). The Tenth Biennial Conference on Entrepreneurship: Vol II. (2013). Ahmedabad: EDII, & New Delhi: Bookwell. This paper was presented in the Tenth Biennial Conference on Entrepreneurship conducted by the Entrepreneurship Development Institute of India during February 20-22, 2013 at Ahmedabad, India. The conference proceedings jointly published by EDII, Ahmedabad & Bookwell Publishers, New Delhi.
- Small producers and labour conditions in auto-parts and component industry in North India; Awasthi, D. N., Pal, S., & Yagnik, Jignasu (2010); in A. Posthuma & D. Nathan (Eds), Labour in Global Production Networks in India (p. 272-299). New Delhi: Oxford University Press. The paper tries to understand the labour conditions and labour welfare measures adopted by the firms (manufacturing auto parts & components) catering to the domestic market vis-à-vis those which are part of global production network. The findings were presented in the international workshop on “Global Production Networks and Decent Work” organise by ILO at Bangalore (18-20 November 2007). This was published in ‘Labour in Global Production Networks in India’; ed. by Anne Posthuma and Dev Nathan, Oxford University Press, 2010.
- Stunning turnaround in Jamnagar brass parts manufacturing; Pal, S. (2008); Indian Engineering Exports, 1(2), 2008, 40-44. This article was written in the context of MSMEs working in the brass parts cluster at Jamnagar, Gujarat, India.
- Forging growth with competitiveness; Pal, S. (2007; Indian Engineering Exports, November 2007, 10-16. ”. It was written in the context of MSMEs working in the engineering cluster at Rajkot, Gujarat, India.
- Jamnagar Brass Parts; Pal, S. (2006); in Sarkar, T., Working Together Works: Cluster Case Studies (p. 44-51). New Delhi: Foundation for MSME Clusters.
- “Rajkot engineering”; Pal, S. (2006); in Sarkar, T., Working together works: Cluster case studies (p96-103). New Delhi: Foundation for MSME Clusters.
- Market for business development services in India: A study of Calcutta; Awasthi, D. N., & Pal, S. (2000); The Journal of Entrepreneurship, 9(2), 155-184. This paper is based on an extensive fieldwork and collection of information from the entrepreneurs and business development service providers.
- Producers and markets in rural Bihar: A case of tribal handicrafts; Pal, S. (1999); .The Journal of Entrepreneurship, 8(1), 79-91. It discussed how a rural product marketing organization operating in grassroots has evolved over a period of time and became successful in marketing of typical rural products like handicrafts, handloom etc.
- Pal, S and Mishra, R.K. (2016) ”Evaluating Agri-markerting Enablers with Interpretive Structural Modelling; International Conference on Agribusiness in Emerging Economics; January 6-7, 2016 conducted by Institute of Rural Management, Anand
- Pal, S. & Mishra, R.K. (2016). “Evaluation of dimensions of supply chain activities in Indian SMEs: A Fuzzy AHP approach” presented in the E-Business and Supply Chain Competitiveness (EBSCC) 2016 conference organized by Department of Industrial and System Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur.
- Pal, S. & Mishra, R.K.(2015). “Internationalization of Kolkata Leather Cluster: A Case Study”, presented in the International Conference on “Transnational Entrepreneurs and International SMEs in Emerging Economies: Drivers and Strategies” organized by IIM Bangalore in collaboration with San Jose State University California, USA on 20-22 May 2015
- Mishra, R.K. & Pal, S. (2015). “Measuring brand equity of healthcare industry: A customer based perspective” presented in the International Conference on “Globalizing Brand India: Opportunities and Challenges” organized by IIM, Kashipur, on 18-19 April 2015
- Pal, S. & Mishra, R.K.(2015). “Performance modelling of Indian SMEs: A DEA approach” presented in “Eleven Biennial Conference on Entrepreneurship” organized by Entrepreneurship Development Institute of India, Ahmedabad during 18-20 February 2015.
- Pal, S. (2013). “Business Development Services (BDS) - Experience in Asia and The Pacific”. Topic presented in the international workshop on Entrepreneurship in Socially Responsible Business for Development in Asia and the Pacific and Young Business Leaders Programme, October 16-18, 2013. Ahmedabad. It was jointly conducted by EDII, ESCAP Business Advisory Council (EBAC) and United Nations Economic Commission for Asia and the Pacific (UN-ESCAP).
- Singh, B., Pal, S., & Banerjea, S. (2013). Problems of MSMEs and the role of open innovation and governmental efforts towards sustainable growth: a study of the leather clusters in West Bengal. Paper presented In the International Seminar on Innovation and Competitive Strategies for Sustainable Entrepreneurship, February 23 – 24, 2013. Bhubaneswar: Department of Commerce, Utkal University.
- Pal, S. (2012). Cluster based development approach and innovation & competitiveness of local firms. Paper presented in “Problems and prospects of MSME in India in the era of globalization”, The National Conference held on 28-29 July, 2012. Calcutta: University of Calcutta, Department of Commerce.
- Pal, S. (2008). “Cluster based development approach instilling innovation, competitiveness among local firms and contributing towards local economic development”. Paper presented in The Global Cluster Conference held at Cap Town, October, 2008 by The Competitiveness Institute, Spain.
- Pal, S. (2007). “Cluster based development facilitating Local Economic Development”. Paper presented in the International seminar on Local Economic Development (LED), August 17-25, 2007. Chiang Mai, Thailand.
Member of the Governing Body of Enterprise Development Institute, West Bengal