Areas of Specialization
- Corporate Entrepreneurship
- Organization Behaviour & Human Resource Management
- Organizational Psychology
Corporate Entrepreneurship, Organization Behaviour & Human Resource Management, Family Business Management and Entrepreneurial Management
- National Team Leader – Global Entrepreneurship Monitor (GEM) India; led multi-country research project titled, ‘Global Entrepreneurship Monitor 2012-till date..
- ‘Entry Barriers to Entrepreneurship: As Perceived by Youths’ (jointly with EDII Team) based on perceptions of 1,625 graduates and young employees from four Indian states the study aimed to identify factors that facilitated and/ or hampered their choice for Entrepreneurship as a Career Option (Year 2003).
- Country Director (Lao PDR), UNIDO-GoI sponsored Inter-Regional Centre for Entrepreneurship and Investment Training. Monitored the project and conducted number of programmes in the country on ‘New Enterprise Creation’, ‘Enterprise Up gradation’ and ‘Family Business Management’, during 2004-08
- Anchored Multi-country Project on ‘Entrepreneurship Development’ in Greater Mekong Sub-region Countries (GMS) involving Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar, Vietnam, Thailand and selected provinces of China, during 2006-2011
- ‘Entry Barriers to Entrepreneurship for Greater Mekong Sub-region Countries as Perceived by Youth (Young Employees and Students)’ sponsored by Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation, Berne, Switzerland, 2009.
Dr. Sunil Shukla is a well known figure in entrepreneurship education and research. He joined the institute in 1993 and since then Dr. Shukla has contributed relentlessly to the development of the institute in different capacities.
Several organizations, including the state-level Entrepreneurship Development Institutions, are today benefitting from Dr. Shukla’s experience and expertise by having him on their Board.
Dr. Shukla institutionalized ‘entrepreneurship education’ internationally and successfully launched an application-oriented, award-winning postgraduate, full-time education programme in entrepreneurship. His pioneering programmes and developmental interventions in ‘entrepreneurship’ and ‘corporate entrepreneurship’ have also ensured sustainable results for varied target groups.
Dr. Shukla plays a primary role in crafting policies and impact-making, developmental interventions in the country. He is the current Editor of ‘the Journal of Entrepreneurship’, a leading journal in the field of entrepreneurship. Dr. Shukla is the principal author of Global Entrepreneurship Monitor (GEM) India National Reports (2014 onwards). He is the national team leader of the GEM India Chapter that conducts this largest annual study of entrepreneurial dynamics.
Dr. Shukla has extensively worked in the international arena as well. He has contributed to entrepreneurship education, research, and capacity-building initiatives in Cambodia, China, Laos, Vietnam, Thailand, Bhutan, Uzbekistan, UAE, Iran, Rwanda, Zambia, Djibouti, UK, USA, Latin America, Brazil, Chile, etc. His work in the Greater Mekong Sub-region (GMS) countries has been highly appreciated.
- Author of Global Entrepreneurship Monitor 2014: India Report, published by Emerald Group Publishing (India) Private Limited (2016)
- Author of Global Entrepreneurship Monitor 2015/16: India Report, published by Emerald Group Publishing (India) Private Limited (2017)
- Author of Global Entrepreneurship Monitor 2016/17: India Report, published by Emerald Group Publishing (India) Private Limited (2018)
- Author of Global Entrepreneurship Monitor 2017/18: India Report, published by Emerald Group Publishing (India) Private Limited (2019)
- Author of Global Entrepreneurship Monitor 2018/19: India Report, published by Routledge- Taylor & Fransis Group (2020)
- Author of Global Entrepreneurship Monitor 2019/20: India Report, published by Routledge- Taylor & Fransis Group (2021)
- Editor of the Journal of Entrepreneurship published by Sage
Chapters in Books:
- ‘Dynamics Of Collaboration And Building A Team’ in Managing Organisations for Sustainable Development: A Training Manual for Non-Government Organizations, EDI, 1996.
- Chapters on ‘Entrepreneurial Motivation’, Open Learning Programme in Entrepreneurship: Unit 5, EDI, 1995.
- 'Maternal influence on Development of Speech Style in Hindi Children', in B. Laxmibai and D.Vasanta (Eds.), Language Development and Language Disorders: Perspectives from Indian Languages, New Delhi: Bahri Publications, 1994.
- Research Paper with Veronica Scuotto, on ‘Being Innovator or ‘Imovator’: Current Dilemma?’ published in Journal of the Knowledge Economy, Pp 1-16. (Springer) (Year 2015)
- A study on ‘Survey of Personal Beliefs and Attitudes’ conceptualized and started in collaboration with James Hayton, Warwick Business School: Entrepreneurship Research Centre, UK; (in progress).
- Published a paper on ‘Gen Y and Entrepreneurship: The Enablers, The Killers and the Eco-system’, in Perfect Professional: Enabling Managers to Make a Difference, 2012.
- Conducted a research study on ‘Psychometric Profile of Regional Business Managers (RBMs) and Product Managers (PMs)’ for Zydus Cadila, Ahmedabad in March 2008.
- Conducted a research study on ‘Identifying Drivers and Barriers of Performance: Analyzing Performance Appraisal Data to Gain Strategic Insights’ for Business Officers and Area Business Managers of Zydus Cadila, Ahmedabad, March 2005
- Anchored and contributed in 11th and 12th grade text books on entrepreneurship for Gujarat State Textbook Board (Gujarati Medium), 2004 and 2005.
- Contributed in ‘Guidelines for Implementation of Work Education Programme in Schools’, published by PSS Central Institute of Vocational Education, NCERT, 2003
- Developed Psychometric Instruments: ‘Entrepreneurial Motivation Test’ and ‘Typology of Leadership Styles’ to measure entrepreneurial and leadership potential of respondents, 2001.
- Developed Entrepreneurship Curriculum for UGC; it was approved, published and recommended for adoption by UGC to about 1500 degree level vocational institutions in India,1999.
- Completed a research project on ‘Review of Curricula on Entrepreneurship in Institutions of Higher Learning’, 1998.
- Published a paper on ‘Maternal Influences on Development of Speech Style in Hindi Children’, International Journal of Communication, Jan. – Dec. 1993.
- Published a paper on ‘Language and Social Class’, Social Science International Journal 1987.
- Published a paper on ‘Development of Syntactic Ability Among Hindi-Speaking Children’ in Social Science International Journal, 1986.
- 'Organization Development: Interventions and Strategies' by S. Ramnarayan, T.V. Rao and Kuldeep Singh (Year 1999).
- ‘Entrepreneurship and Innovation: Models for Development’ by Rabindra N. Kanungo, (Year 1999).
- ‘Reclaiming Higher Ground: Creating Organisations That Inspire The Soul’ by Lance H.K. Secretan (Year 1998).
- ‘Effective Organisations and Social Values’ edited by Henry S.R. Kao, Durganand Sinha and Ng Sek-Hong (Year 1996).
- ‘Corporate Ethics’, edited by T.A. Mathias (Year 1995).
- ‘Ancient Indian Wisdom for Motivation’, edited by V. K. Sharma, (Year 1994).
- Thirteenth Biennial Conference on Entrepreneurship: Conference Papers. 2 Vols. Bookwell, 2019.
- Twelfth Biennial Conference on Entrepreneurship: Conference Papers. 2 Vols. New Delhi: Bookwell, 2017.
- Panellist for Panel ‘Innovation and Entrepreneurship Development in Non-IT and Rural Areas’ under Innovation & Entrepreneurship Summit 2015, 14-15 December 2015, New Delhi.
- Chaired International Conference on ‘Entrepreneurial Approaches to Librarianship’ conducted by Management Library Network (MANLIBNET) held at EDII, during December 2013
- Panellist for Panel ‘Entrepreneurial Ecosystem - The ease of doing business’ under The Economic Times Entrepreneurs Summit, 16th December 2015, New Delhi.
- Keynote address in a seminar on ‘Quality Assurance, Enhancement and Sustainability in Higher Education’ organized by JD Birla Institute, Kolkata on April 05-06, 2013
- Invited for faculty support in conference on ‘Capacity Building for Entrepreneurship’ organized by ISB, Hyderabad, March 2012
- Invited for ‘Sichuan (India) Trade & Economic Cooperation Promotion Seminar’ organized by Sichuan Provincial People’s Government and FICCI, New Delhi, April 2011
- Conducted DST, GoI sponsored three workshops on ‘Introducing Entrepreneurship in Institutions of Science and Technology’ for Senior Professors and Directors, at Agra, Nainital and Shillong, during 2008-10
- Delivered a talk on the ‘Role of Academic Institutions for Promotion of Women Entrepreneurship’ in the National seminar on ‘Entrepreneurship and Venture Creation by Women’ organized at SNDT Women’s University, Mumbai 22nd February 2007
- Coordinated training for entrepreneurship educators and researchers from South Asian countries, as a part of South Asia Professional Exchange and Training Programme, jointly with the Beyster Institute, USA, at EDI in January, 2006
- Conducted a Seminar for Vice Chancellors, Heads and Senior Professors from Educational Institutions on ‘Approaches to Entrepreneurship Education’ organized at IIC, New Delhi, June 2005
- Key speaker on ‘Understanding the Successors Phenomenon’ in a National Seminar organized by CII, Chennai in February 2005
- Visited Malaysia on invitation from Majlis Amanah Rakyat (MARA), Kuala Lumpur to conduct seminar for their top and senior level management team, in 2005.
- Coordinated an International Seminar and Exhibition on ‘Managing Low Cost & Innovative Housing Technologies’ sponsored by Building Material Promotion Technology Promotion Council and UNIDO-ICAMT, at EDII during August 2004
- Conducted on behalf of Federation of Entrepreneurship Development Institutions (FEDI), a Capacity Building Programme in Organising New Programmes in Entrepreneurship Training from UP and Bihar state institutions, at IED-UP Lucknow, during July 2000
- Two-Day National Workshop on ‘Role of Higher Education in the Development of Social Innovation and Entrepreneurship in India’, Banaras Hindu University, 20th & 21st February, 2016
- Presented a paper titled ‘Entrepreneurship Education in India: Emerging Trends, Challenges & Opportunities’ in Annual Conference on United States Association for Small Business and Entrepreneurship, Fort Worth, Texas January 2014.
- Represented the GEM India Team in GEM Annual Conferences held in in San Francisco (2012), Santiago (2014) and Boston (2016).
- Presented a paper on ‘Entrepreneurship in GMS Countries’ in International Conference on ‘Entrepreneurship in Socially Responsible Business for Development in Asia and the Pacific’ held at Entrepreneurship Development Institute of India, Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India, October, 2013
- Invited to present the findings of National Expert Survey of Global Entrepreneurship Monitor Study-2012 in Tenth Biennial Conference organized by EDII at EDII, Ahmedabad 2013.
- Presented a paper on ‘Entrepreneurship Curricula in Institutions of Higher Learning, with special reference to B-Schools, during Nirma International Conference on Management (NICOM) January 2007.
- Coordinated and also presented a paper on ‘Approaches to Entrepreneurship Education’ in a National Workshop for Vice-chancellors, Directors, Deans and Senior Professors at New Delhi, in 2005.
- Presented research findings on ‘Entry Barriers to Entrepreneurship, with specific reference to Gujarat’, in a specifically organized meet of Vice Chancellors of Gujarat state, at Raj Bhavan, Gandhinagar, in 2005.
- Presented a paper on ‘Intrapreneurship and Corporate Governance’, in the National Seminar on Corporate Governance, ICSI-CCRT, Mumbai, 2001.
- Presented a paper on ‘Curriculum of Entrepreneurship in Institutions of Higher Learning’, in the National Workshop on Approaches to Entrepreneurship Education, EDII, 1997.
- Presented a paper titled as ‘Some Reflections on Entrepreneurship Development Programmes’, in National Seminar on Current Research in Indian Entrepreneurship, EDII, 1994.
Association with Academic and Training Institutions: Key Resource Person for courses in Entrepreneurship and Management with several Institutions including:
- Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad (IIMA)
- Adani Institute of Infrastructure Management, Ahmedabad
- Indian Institute of Foreign Trade (IIFT), New Delhi
- Nirma University, Ahmedabad
- Pandit Deendayal Energy University (PDEU), Raisan, Gandhinagar
- National Institute of Design (NID), Ahmedabad
- Mudra Institute of Communications (MICA), Ahmedabad
- Dhirubhai Ambani Institute of Information and Communication Technology (DAIICT)